Tom Yum Fried Rice with Sunny Side Up Egg (serves 1)
1 large clove of garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup cooked rice (I used leftover short grain sticky rice but you can use any)
1 small tomato, cut into large chunks
2 tsp fish sauce, may want more to taste
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1 green onion, sliced, use green parts only
salt & pepper
fresh lime, to serve
sausage(optional, to serve alongside)
1. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add butter then sliced garlic. Cook until fragrant(don't let it brown!), about 1 minute.
2. Add rice then toss to coat. Add half of your tomatoes to cook down to impart color. Add fish sauce and sugar, stir to coat rice. Allow to fry for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down.
3. In a separate frying pan, cook your egg(however you want!). I cooked mine at a medium-low heat for sunny side up perfection. Season with salt and pepper. Use a biscuit cutter to make a perfectly round egg, if you're feeling fancy. :)
4. Taste your rice to see if it needs seasoning. Add salt or more fish sauce as needed. Remove from heat and add green onions and remaining tomatoes. Toss through and plate.
5. Serve with egg atop the rice and a fresh lime wedge for squeezing over the top.